Interview with Lauren Smith
About Lauren Smith:
Amazon Best-Selling Author Lauren Smith is an attorney by day, author by night, who pens adventurous and edgy romance stories by the light of her smart phone flashlight app. She’s a native Oklahoman who lives with her three pets: a feisty chinchilla, sophisticated cat and dapper little schnauzer. She’s won multiple awards in several romance subgenres including being an Amazon.com Breakthrough Novel Award Quarter-Finalist and a Semi-Finalist for the Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley Award.
Connect with Lauren: Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Amazon
BB’s Book Reviews- Lauren Smith
- What Inspired You to Write Your Book? I loved the idea of a stepbrother book, but I wanted to tell a unique version, one that didn’t involve the hero and heroine growing up together, so it doesn’t have that “ick” factor I know some readers don’t like. It’s really a story about two people who fall in love and later discover their parents are tying the knot and they have to deal with the ramifications of this. I also wanted to tell a modern fairy tale about two people who when they come together, awaken each other both sensually and emotionally.
- Which writers inspire you? Christina Dodd is one of my biggest inspirations. I met her in 2012 at a conference and she was so gracious, so wonderful and more than everything I could hope for in a personal hero. She let me fangirl and she was so sweet! I almost cried. I was able to attend that conference as anew author with an agent and on my way to career as an author after I read her books because she inspired me to write romance.
- Give us an insight into your main character. What does he/she do that is so special? Kat the heroine is a young woman on the verge of becoming a mature woman. She’s only 19 and never been in love before, but she goes out on a limb and takes a risk falling for the hero, Tristan. He’s a womanizing charmer who’s never had a challenge when it comes to women, but Kat actually turns him down after she learns about his multi-woman past. But just as Kat is brave, so is Tristan. He knows something between them is special and he wants to risk his future as an earl to be with her. They both are willing to sacrifice things to be with each other.
- What genre are your books? Forbidden is a new Adult contemporary, but I also write historical, contemporary, modern gothic, and paranormal romances.
- What draws you to this genre? I love the idea of first loves. The new Adult genre is all about firsts: First loves, first jobs It’s about stepping fully into adulthood and taking those big life steps.
- Where do your ideas come from? That’s always a tough one to answer. I usually don’t have a specific place where ideas come from so I can’t really specify where Tristan and Kat came from but I do get a lot of good inspiration from movies, tv and music.
- Is there any marketing technique you used that had an immediate impact on your sales figures? I like featuring discounted books in email newsletters. That seems to help new readers find your books for a cheap The drawback to this though is that readers get trained to devalue your work. You spend 5 months writing a book and then you only make 24 cents off a 99 cent book. And you actually lose money when you release a book at a cheap price. I hope someday that readers will embrace higher price books again, otherwise I worry writers will fail to stay writing if we can’t pay our bills.
- What is your favourite motivational phrase or positive saying. What does this mean to you? I love the motto from Walt Disney “Keep Moving Forward”. It’s all about not getting stuck in the past, but to keep pushing yourself and challenge yourself to get better every day going forward.
- What is your favourite book and why? There’s no way I can pick a favorite, but if I do have to try and pick, I’d say The Host By Stephanie Meyer. It’s a work of genius to me because she writes about a love quadrangle. She also writes about an alien invasion experience where you actually root for and cheer for the alien heroine because of how well Meyer gets you into the character’s head.
- What is your favourite quote and why? “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” – Teddy Roosevelt. This quote means so much to me because as a writer you often try and fail again and again, but if you never try, you never get anywhere. It’s easy to be timid when it comes to writing because you’re worried about how people will see you and it and judge you, so you have to be brave when facing the world.
An American college student falls for a mysterious British bad boy who brings her deepest fantasies to life, neither of them knowing they’ll soon become step-siblings.
Award winning, and fan favorite, author, Lauren Smith has a brand new, New Adult, series! Love taboo relationships? You’re going to love FORBIDDEN: HER BRITISH STEPBROTHER, featuring a hot and smoldering British man and an innocent college student—neither of whom knows their parents are about to be wed, making them step-siblings!
And more exciting news, FORBIDDEN: HER BRITISH STEPBROTHER is debuting at only $.99! What a steal! Make sure to grab your copy today!